Neurology, Neurophysiology, & Electroencephalograms
Services at UMA:
- General Neurology Consultations including diseases such as stroke, dementia, epilepsy, headache…
- Appointments as soon as possible in case of Emergencies.
- Test for evaluation of cognitive functions (memory, language …): Neuropsychological Assessment.
- Cognitive Therapy.
Neurophysiology services at UMA:
- Electromiagram (EMG), Electroneurogram (ENG), Single-Fiber electromiography.
- PATTERN-Electroretinogram (pERG).
- Visual evoked potential (VEPs).
- Brainstem auditory evoked potential (BAEPs).
- Somatosensory evoked potential (SSEPs).
- Vestibular Evoked potencial (VEMPs).
- Neurophyisiological test in pelvic floor.
- Sleep deprived EEG.
Neurophysiology services at UMA:
Electromiagram (EMG), Electroneurogram (ENG), Single-Fiber electromiography.
Objective assessment of the operation of the peripheral nervous system (nerves that give us the sensitivity and allow us to move). Very useful in diseases of the nerves (syndrome carpal tunnel, ulnar nerve entrapment, diabetic patients, facial paralysis), involvement of the plexus and roots spinal (degree of nerve involvement in patients with hernias of the spine, ie , radiculopathy), muscle diseases or the endplate, regional pain syndromes.
It is a useful neurophysiological test in the early diagnosis of glaucoma, macular diseases, extensive retinopathy, optic nerve disease, nerve disorders and compressive optic chiasm, in ischemic optic neuropathy.
Visual evoked potential (VEPs).
Assesses the integrity of the visual pathway from the retina via the optic nerve to the occipital cortex. It is useful in diseases of the optic nerve, macular diseases, demyelinating diseases.
Brainstem auditory evoked potential (BAEPs).
Evaluation of the auditory pathway (cochlear sensorineural hearing loss and retrocochlear), used as screening to detect hearing loss in children and to determine the degree of impairment (hearing thresholds) in adults.
Somatosensory evoked potential (SSEPs).
Proprioception evaluation, evaluate the conduction through the spinal cord, they are useful in patients with multiple sclerosis, tumors, spinal trauma, myelitis.
Vestibular Evoked potencial (VEMPs).
Vestibular assessment otoliths, are useful in evaluating vertigo, Meniere’s disease and dehiscence of the semicircular canals.
Neurophyisiological test in pelvic floor.
In the study of sexual dysfunction, perineal pain after childbirth, or urinary incontinence and / or fecal retention by EMG, ENG and reflections to assess nerve structures involved.
Dra Ana Beatriz Gago Veiga
- 2000-2006: Bachelor of Medicine (Md). University of Santiago de Compostela.
- 2007-2011: Specialist in Neurology at Hospital La Princesa. Madrid.
- External rotations:
- Mount Sinai Hospital New York, September-October 2010:
- Bendheim Parkinson Center and Movement Disorders.
- Corinne Goldsmith Dickinson Center Multiple Sclerosis.
- International Ruber Hospital. Madrid, November-December 2010:
- Epilepsy Unit.
- Hospital Clinico San Carlos. Madrid, February-September 2011:
- Headache and Neuro-ophthalmology.
- Master of cardiovascular disease and prevention. May 2011.
- Research proficiency. November 2009.
- Special interest in: Memory and Alzheimer disease. Headache and epilepsy (attending physician responsible for monographic units in Hospital La Princesa).
Dr Antonio Gil Nagel Rein
Assistant Professor, Epilepsy Program and Department of Neurological Sciences
Rush-Presbyterian-St. Luke’s Medical Center – (3 years 1 month)Greater Chicago Area
Assistant Professor, Epilepsy Program and Department of Neurology
University of Minnesota – (3 years)Greater Minneapolis-St. Paul Area
Dra Rybel Wix Ramos Clinical Neurophysiology
- Medical doctor degree (Venezuela, Carabobo university 2.001).
- Specialist in Clinical Neurophysiology “Hospital Clínico San Carlos”, Madrid (2.003 – 2.007).
- Doctor in Medicine. Universidad CEU San Pablo, 2010.
- Sleep medicine master. University ” Pablo de Olavide” (Sevilla, Spain), 2010.
- Doctor Profesor. School of Medicine . Universidad CEU San Pablo.
- Clinical neurophysiology service at “Hospital Universitario La Princesa” (Madrid).
- Technical Resources: The Clinical Neurophysiology unit is equipped with the most modern devices to perform electromyography, electroneurography, pattern electroretinogram, somatosensory evoked potentials, visual evoked potentials and brainstem auditory evoked potential.