Neurology, Neurophysiology, & Electroencephalograms
Neurology is a specialty concerned with diseases of the Central Nervous System and the Peripheral Nervous System. Dr Marta Rodríguez Peña – Marín and Dr Iván Iniesta López are both Madrid trained neurologists with a vast experience overseas having worked for 15 years in prestigious institutions including The Walton Centre for Neurology & Neurosurgery (UK) and in New Zealand.
Neurology Services at UMA:
General Neurology Consultations including but not limited to:
- Headaches: tension type, cluster, migraine
- Stroke and TIA
- Neuroimmunological conditions (MS)
- Mild cognitive impairment and dementia
- Epilepsy and other seizure disorders
- Neuromuscular disorders: neuropathies, myasthenia gravis, ALS
- Functional neurological disorders and chronic fatigue syndrome/ME
- Neurological Assessments – US Veterans
The neurology team offers a patient centered care approach based on the “triple – A” principle: Availability, Amability and Ability, providing weekly clinics and flexible times
Neurophysiology services at UMA:
- Electromiagram (EMG), Electroneurogram (ENG), Single-Fiber electromiography.
- PATTERN-Electroretinogram (pERG).
- Visual evoked potential (VEPs).
- Brainstem auditory evoked potential (BAEPs).
- Somatosensory evoked potential (SSEPs).
- Vestibular Evoked potencial (VEMPs).
- Neurophyisiological test in pelvic floor.
- Sleep deprived EEG.
Neurophysiology services at UMA:
Electromiagram (EMG), Electroneurogram (ENG), Single-Fiber electromiography.
Objective assessment of the operation of the peripheral nervous system (nerves that give us the sensitivity and allow us to move). Very useful in diseases of the nerves (syndrome carpal tunnel, ulnar nerve entrapment, diabetic patients, facial paralysis), involvement of the plexus and roots spinal (degree of nerve involvement in patients with hernias of the spine, ie , radiculopathy), muscle diseases or the endplate, regional pain syndromes.
It is a useful neurophysiological test in the early diagnosis of glaucoma, macular diseases, extensive retinopathy, optic nerve disease, nerve disorders and compressive optic chiasm, in ischemic optic neuropathy.
Visual evoked potential (VEPs).
Assesses the integrity of the visual pathway from the retina via the optic nerve to the occipital cortex. It is useful in diseases of the optic nerve, macular diseases, demyelinating diseases.
Brainstem auditory evoked potential (BAEPs).
Evaluation of the auditory pathway (cochlear sensorineural hearing loss and retrocochlear), used as screening to detect hearing loss in children and to determine the degree of impairment (hearing thresholds) in adults.
Somatosensory evoked potential (SSEPs).
Proprioception evaluation, evaluate the conduction through the spinal cord, they are useful in patients with multiple sclerosis, tumors, spinal trauma, myelitis.
Vestibular Evoked potencial (VEMPs).
Vestibular assessment otoliths, are useful in evaluating vertigo, Meniere’s disease and dehiscence of the semicircular canals.
Neurophyisiological test in pelvic floor.
In the study of sexual dysfunction, perineal pain after childbirth, or urinary incontinence and / or fecal retention by EMG, ENG and reflections to assess nerve structures involved.
Dra Rybel Wix Ramos Clinical Neurophysiology
- Medical doctor degree (Venezuela, Carabobo university 2.001).
- Specialist in Clinical Neurophysiology “Hospital Clínico San Carlos”, Madrid (2.003 – 2.007).
- Doctor in Medicine. Universidad CEU San Pablo, 2010.
- Sleep medicine master. University ” Pablo de Olavide” (Sevilla, Spain), 2010.
- Doctor Profesor. School of Medicine . Universidad CEU San Pablo.
- Clinical neurophysiology service at “Hospital Universitario La Princesa” (Madrid).
- Technical Resources: The Clinical Neurophysiology unit is equipped with the most modern devices to perform electromyography, electroneurography, pattern electroretinogram, somatosensory evoked potentials, visual evoked potentials and brainstem auditory evoked potential.
Dr Iván Iniesta López MD PhD FRCP FRACP DHMSA
-Neurology Training, Hospital General Univesitario “Gregorio Marañón”, Madrid
-Consultant Neurologist, Hospital Sao Sebastiao, Portugal: 2002 – 2004
-Consultant Neurologist and Honorary Clinical Lecturer at The Walton Centre for Neurology & Neurosurgery NHS Trust: and Liverpool University: 2005 – 2013
-Medical Lead, Neurology and Prevocational Educational Supervisor – MidCentral District Health Board, New Zealand: 2013 – 2021
-Consultant Neurologist at the Neurosciences Clinical Center – HLM (2021 – current) & UMA
Dr Marta Rodríguez Peña-Marín MD MRCP FRACP
-Neurology training at Hospital Universitario “Doce de Octubre”, Madrid.
-Neurology Registrar and Consultant Neurologist at The Walton Centre for Neurology and Neurosurgery NHS Trust: 2005 – 2013
-Medical Lead, Neurophysiology and Consultant Neurologist, MidCentral District Health Board, New Zealand: 2013 – 2021
-Consultant Neurologist at Hospital General de Villalba – Quirón Salud (2021 – current) & UMA
Contacta con Nosotros